Welcome to the FS Share page. The USAID’s Bureau for Economic Growth Agriculture and Trade (EGAT) created the Financial Sector Knowledge Sharing Project (FS Share) to collaborate with USAID missions to develop effective and efficient financial sector programs that increase access to financial services and develop well-functioning markets worldwide.
Through FS Share, USAID EGAT proactively collaborates with USAID missions to develop effective strategies and programs for growing the financial sector by:
- Identifying financial sector priorities.
- Aggregating and disseminating financial sector best practices in the form of primers, case analyses, diagnostic checklists, and model scopes of work
- Integrating best practices into financial sector programming.
- Assisting with pilot initiatives and implementation of financial sector best practices
Recent FS Share Activities
· Haiti: In December 2012, FS Share completed a comprehensive assessment of the housing mortgage market in Haiti, designed to advance the development of housing mortgage lending in the country as an opportunity to respond to the immense need for stimulating the development of housing infrastructure, exacerbated by the destruction caused by the recent earthquake. FS Share engaged NORC at the University of Chicago and Bureau de Recherche en Informatique et en Developpement Economique et Social (BRIDES) to conduct a survey with findings on the housing purchasing power of Haitian households living in the Port au Prince metropolitan area in summer 2011.
· Tanzania: In December 2012, FS Share conducted a 1.5 day workshop on Increasing Access to Finance in Agricultural Value Chains for an audience of USAID program officers.
· Democratic Republic of Congo: From October 2011 through January 2012, FS Share conducted an assessment of select financial institutions in the DRC in order to identify opportunities to strengthen agricultural lending units within the institutions and expand lending to the agricultural sector. FS Share completed an agricultural lending toolkit, a compendium of resources, tools, and templates for banks to utilize to strengthen the capacity of an agricultural lending unit. From April to May 2012, FS Share, in partnership with consortium member Shorebank International, will provide technical assistance to two banks in the DRC to strengthen their agricultural lending units.
· Indonesia: From September to October 2011, FS Share conducted an assessment of the feasibility of accelerating the adoption of mobile money in Indonesia, resulting in an action plan with suggestions on opportunities to scale usage of the technology to advance financial inclusion.
· Malawi: In November 2011, FS Share completed an assessment of the environment in Malawi to develop and scale use of mobile money to increase access to finance and financial inclusion. In collaboration with the World Bank and USAID Malawi, FS Share facilitated a Mobile Money Workshop, bringing together leaders from the government of Malawi, financial institutions, NGOs and other stakeholders together in a consultative group to move mobile money adoption forward.
· Afghanistan: In September 2011, FS Share completed a revenue and expenditure analysis model for the Ministry of Finance and USAID that examines long-term growth, revenue, and expenditure scenarios for Afghanistan.
- About E3/EG
- Technical Areas
- Commercial Law and Enabling Environment
- Cross Cutting
- Enterprise Development
- Financial Sector
- Asset-Based Finance
- Banking and Financial Infrastructure
- Branchless Banking
- Business Enabling Environment
- Capital Markets
- Credit Bureaus
- Developing Corporate Bond Markets
- Health Sector Financing
- Mobile Money
- Non Banks
- Rapid Financial Soundness Assessment
- Rural and Agriculture Finance
- SME Finance
- Secured Financing
- Sub-Sovereign Finance
- Value Chain Finance
- Project Analysis and Diagnostic Tools
- Ongoing Programs
- Archived Programs
- Resource Library